Car accident lawyers can make all the difference in the world when it comes to your personal injury claim. You might find it easy to locate a lawyer willing to take your case, should you have a good one on your hands (meaning one that you will likely win). However, it is critical that you select the best car accident lawyer for you and your case, not just the first personal injury lawyer that agrees to accept the case.
When it comes to choosing a car accident lawyer there are many out there. Some lawyers may be good, but they are only in it for the money and do not keep their client’s best interest in mind. There are other lawyers who will put forth minimal effort into your case with every intention of settling from day one, never really caring whether you are appropriately compensated the damages that you deserve, and then there are other lawyers who really do care to see you appropriately repaid for your losses, except that they do not have the means by which to make this happen. That being said, selecting the best car accident lawyer for you and your case can sometimes prove to be more difficult than you might have imagined.
Narrowing Down Your Search
This is especially true if you have a case that appears to be an easy win. Where it is likely that you will have personal injury lawyers chomping at the bit to get your case. When this happens, it is important that you take your time to narrow down your options so that you might more appropriately compare eligible candidates. To begin narrowing down your search for the perfect car accident lawyer to represent you and your case, you might start with word of mouth recommendations. If you know someone that was involved in an accident and had positive results with a particular personal injury lawyer then this might be an excellent place to begin your search.
Factors to Consider
Your ultimate goal in narrowing down your search of potential car accident lawyers should be to come up with a list of three to four suitable candidates. When you are working toward checking off potential lawyers for your case you might consider keeping the following things in mind:
- Investigate – Do your own little investigation where you look into the accident lawyer. Does this attorney have biographical information backing their claims that they have experience as a car accident lawyer? Check out their website as well as the reviews online to dig a little deeper on each potential candidate.
- Look into whether or not the particular lawyer that you are “investigating” belongs to any national, state or local trial lawyers’ associations.
- Call the firm to inquire about the types of cases that they handle if you are unable to find relevant information. Be sure that they are experienced car accident lawyers.
- If you have a good relationship with a practiced attorney who specializes in a different area of law, consider contacting them for recommendations on a suitable car accident lawyer in your area.
- Contact the state bar association where you live to inquire about whether the accident lawyer that you are “investigating” is in good standing.
Once you have narrowed down your list to three or four potential candidates, ask about whether or not they will meet you for a consultation. Keep in mind that you should not discount a certain car accident lawyer just because they do not have time in their schedule to meet with you – good car accident lawyers in high demand are very busy.
Preparing for Your Initial Meet
In preparation for your initial meet with potential car accident lawyers that you are considering to give your case to, there are a few things that you will want to do. Good car accident lawyers are very busy and you need not waste their time, should you seriously be considering handing over your case to them. That being said, being properly prepared for your initial meet is vital. Make sure that you bring with you any and all documents that coincide with your claim. Be it medical records, police reports, witness statements, journals from your time recovering, proof of lost wages, etc. You will want to make sure that you are prepared for your meeting enough to give a brief and thorough overview of your case in a clear and coherent manner.
How Do I Make My Final Decision on Which Car Accident Lawyer is Best for Me and My Case?
After your consultations, or initial meets with your chosen car accident lawyer candidates you will want to make a decision on which to choose to represent your case within a reasonable amount of time – remember personal injury claims are time-sensitive. Here are a few questions you might consider asking yourself when trying to determine if the candidate is the best car accident lawyer for you and your case.
- Does this car accident lawyer make me feel comfortable and do I feel confident that he/she will win my case?
- Does my research reveal and meeting confirm that this car accident lawyer has the skills and experience necessary to win my case?
- Was the car accident lawyer open and honest about what he/she can do to win your case? Did he/she speak in a way that you could understand (i.e. avoiding lingo that might confuse you)?
- Do I have a clear understanding of the fee arrangement that surrounds my case?